Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Digital vs. Traditional

I am in a slight problem. I have been scrap booking since 2005. I have always been a traditional/hybrid scrapper. As of late, I have been doing quite a bit of digital scrapping. To be perfectly honest, I do love traditional scrapping but my love is moving more + more over to digital. In fact, I am thinking about going totally digital. Why you might ask? Because:


1. Less mess. When I finish working on a digital page, a few clicks + everything is "cleaned up". With traditional my desk is a disaster + I usually don't clean it up for a few days.

2. Ease of scrapping. What I mean by this, if I am working on a page + open something, like a red paper, to put on my page + then I'm looking at it + it doesn't fit, a click of the mouse + its gone + I can try something new. I like knowing exactly how something is going to look + its easier to do this with digital then with traditional. (example: Traditionally - I cut a mat for my photo + not like the look, then I just cut a paper for no reason.)

3.Less room. All I need for digital is my computer. And living in an apartment, it is hard finding room for tons of scrapping supplies. It is nice to have it all in a folder on my computer.

4. Faster. I think it mainly has to do with the fact that looking for a certain embellishment is easier digitally then traditionally. If you think about it, it is easier to click open a few folders then rummage around bins + drawers.

5. More pages in an album. Since digital pages are completely flat, you can fit so many more into an album which means I don't have to buy new albums as much.

6. Reuse. With digital supplies, I can use the same thing as much as I want. If I want to use this one piece of pattern paper on 2 different layouts, I can. And its perfectly fine. Example: I did a layout for both Tayliah + Danoson about a canal behind our house in Lovell. Its all the same thing except the journalling. It was so much easier + faster doing these layouts digitally then traditionally.

Tayliah's Page

Danoson's Page

7. The Look. For some reason, I like how my digitally pages are turning out. The design is what I like. I can't seem to get the same look with I scrap traditionally. My "style" of scrapping seems to work better with digital.


8. Ordering pictures. I always order pictures to scrap traditionally + end up not using a lot of them. Or as I'm doing the page, I wish I had one of the pictures bigger. Not a problem with digital.

As for traditionally scrapping, I do like the hands on feel of the supplies + the dimension that comes from traditional. Plus I have a TON of scrapping supplies. I'm definitely going to be contemplating about this issue for a few days. I'll probably be posting about my thoughts + ideas later in the week.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Tell me more...am in the same dilema...are the programs expensive for digital?

Tersa said...

I've always been a traditional scrap booker, I just never felt like I could get the same feel with digital. Now I'm intrigued, the pages you posted are super cute! Plus I love all that points you made about what a hassle scrap booking can be. Will you show me how to get start digitally?

Kimberly said...

You should totally start a "how - to" digital scrapbook blog!! I'd be your #1 follower! ;) Do you just order the prints at Wal Mart or someplace? Or do you have a really good printer? I have lots of questions! :)

Unknown said...

I actually order from Persnickety Prints. Its an online company + their work is amazing! The color is right on! It is usually 1.99 per 12x12 page + they have specials where there is a discount or free shipping sometimes. I usually wait to order to then. Maybe I'll do a blog post tomorrow about how I scrap digitally. It is really easy once you get the hang of it! You will get hooked!