Monday, October 24, 2011

3rd Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Event.

On Saturday, October 22 I participated in Sheridan Memorial Hospital's 3rd Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Event: 10K run, 5K run/walk, + 1.5 mile walk. It was to support the new Welch Cancer Center here in Sheridan. My sister in laws, Kjirstyn + Mykel, + brother in law, Stephen, all ran the 5K with me.

Stephen, Kjirstyn, Me, + Mykel.

We ran in honor of our Grandma Anderson who is a breast cancer survivor. This was my very first 5K. Having no idea what to expect and not really being a runner myself, I set some easy goals. First, I wanted to run all 3.1 miles - no walking allowed. Second, I wanted to run the 5K in under 40 minutes.

Where's Tori???....hehehehe.
And I have to admit, I'm hooked. It was so much fun! The path that we ran was beautiful. We ran next to a river for most of the time + even saw buffalo...lol. (Only in Wyoming could you run a 5K + see buffalo.) The weather was perfect. I had the perfect company during the run. It really couldn't have gotten any better.

I have to admit that trying to run beside Mykel, who covers about as much ground in one stride as I do in three, really pushed me to go faster.

Finish line. (I'm the one coming in second.)

This is where Mykel, who ran beside me the entire time, left me.

I'm blurry because I'm running so fast - the camera can't keep up with my speed.
I ended up in 28th place with a time of 30.24 minutes. I beat my goal by almost 10 minutes. To be honest, I'm pretty dang excited + proud of myself. I don't think I have ever run that fast before. And I have to thank Mykel for that. Her long legs + strides made my hobbit legs work hard...hahaha. And a shout out for Stephen who came in 6th in the men's 5K!

Yummy water.

Stretching.

My amazing family. Especially my husband who watched the kids (and took pictures) so I could run. Thanks babe - you are the best!

Next year we are going to wear pink tutus.

After the race. We look pretty dang good for just running a 5K.
Thank you Kjirstyn, Mykel, + Stephen for running this with me. Love you guys!

This is the first of many 5K races I want to run in. In thinking of the future, I would love to run a 5K in 25 minutes. And eventually run a 10K - in the far, far future...hehehe.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Way to go for meeting and even surpassing your goals, Tori! It must mean so much more to support this cause with the story of a family member who triumphed and beat breast cancer. Love the picture of your sprint to the finish!