Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fires.

It is going to be a very "firey" summer. We have a few fires going on here in Wyoming. One fire went from 300 acres to 2000 acres in less then a day. It is burning over where my parents live. Sure we don't have any fires the size of those in Colorado or Utah....well, we don't have any fires that size yet. A mild winter is going to mean a hot son of a gun summer. Which mean lots of fires. I have to let in on a little secret - I love fires. I used to be a wildland firefighter for two summers before I got married. It was fun. Loved working outside + fighting a fire, but at the same time it was always a bit scary. Fires are a scary, dangerous thing. Yes, they are good for dead forests + helping new growth, but when they get too big + out of control it is a dangerous situtation.

We are getting smoke from the fire near Buffalo + Glenrock, + maybe even some from the one near Ft. Collins (maybe....). One thing about a smokey sky, is it makes for some brilliant sunsets.







No comments: