Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thursday Thoughts: Scrapbooking.

I have been questioning my total digital method for scrapbooking. And this is what I came up with:

For a scrapbooker there are truly so many options nowdays to do what we do. So what exactly do we do? For me, scrapbooking is a way to take my pictures + my words + put them together to tell that amazing story. Usually the story is a normal, everyday story. For me, those are the best. I also tell the story of important events, like birthdays, Halloween, + Christmas.


I have done the traditional scrapbooking where all I use is paper, glue, a pen, + embellishments. I also have done hybrid. Where you take the paper, glue, + embellishments + then add something digital to it. For example, typing out your journaling. And then I stepped into digital scrapbooking. Or maybe "leaped" is a better word. Where everything is done on the computer.

I have had some uncertainty about going all digital. Sure there are some great perks for it. No mess to clean up, doesn’t take hardly any room, I can get more done, etc. But what about that homemade touch to it? How about my handwriting on the layouts?

And then it hit me. Scrapbooking isn’t about how you scrapbook. Scrapbooking is about telling the stories of our lives. Whether I do digital, or traditional, or maybe just putting my pictures into a regular photo album + writing on a tag next to each picture, that is scrapbooking. I’m telling my story, my kid’s story, and my husband’s story. I’m telling my family’s story through the pictures I take + the words I write/type.

So maybe in this point in my life, digital is the best way for me. It’s the way I am getting my stories recorded. And that is perfectly fine.

2 comments:

R said...

so what did you do with your old camera???

Unknown said...

I am still waiting for a bit more money until I get my new camera. So I am still using my old camera. As for what I'm doing with it - I have a couple people asking about it, but its going to be hard for me to depart from it. Its been my companion for 5 years...lol.