Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Show + Tell.

Tayliah has show + tell on Wednesdays. Today for show + tell the theme was "summer". Now for Tayliah, a HUGE part of her summer time was catching grasshoppers. She would come show me her handfuls of grasshoppers - as in at least 10 in her hand at once type of handful. So what could be better for her show + tell summer theme then grasshoppers. So the plan was for me to catch a few - or really make Daniel catch a few - Wednesday morning + then I would bring the cage + grasshoppers to her classroom for show + tell.

When we woke up this morning, it was overcast, rainy, + cold. And not a grasshopper in sight. This would have been a very, very, very horrible thing except for what happened yesterday:

Yesterday we were outside + she caught a huge one. I noticed it later in the evening on the gallon of milk as we were eating dinner last night. We usually make her turn loose any grasshoppers from the day because we don't want them dying in our house. (We have found plenty in dollhouses + drawers dead which is why we made that rule in the first place.) But this time I had a feeling to just put it in her grasshopper cage with some grass + let her keep it over night. Which turned out to be the best thing I could have done. Because all grasshoppers were gone in the morning.

When it was time, I headed to show + tell with her grasshopper + cage. It was a HUGE hit! All the kids loved Tayliah's show + tell. She is so cool...lol.


Tayliah explaining her show + tell to the class.

Two kids get to ask questions about her show + tell. Like where she got it + what color the grasshopper was.


The kids were so excited to get a closer look...lol. They rushed her.

There is my big grasshopper girl.
Who would have thought that bringing a grasshopper to school would make her so popular....lol.

And I am really excited because her teacher said that I could come take pictures anytime I wanted so I can document her kindergarten year. Now that's what I'm taking about!





1 comment:

Kathleen said...

This story is awesome! I love how you listened to inspiration and how it helped Tayliah feel even more comfortable and cool at school. I'm happy for you that her teacher is wonderfully accommodating so that you can continue to document her first year of public education. That last photo especially shows Tayliah's happiness and satisfaction with her show-n-tell grasshopper star--well, SHE was the star!